Why Is It Important to use these Alternatives to Release? Every year, the introduction of harmful, non-native species into the U.S. has been increasing. Collectively, these invasive species make tremendous impacts to different things valued by many Americans. Ultimately, the cost of invasive species (terrestrial and aquatic) in the United States amounts to more than $100 billion each year. Go to the Unwanted Fish and Plants section to learn more about each species and their individual impacts. Click on the sections below for details on the negative impacts of harmful invaders.
- Reduce natural biodiversity and native species
- Degrade ecosystem functions
- Damage commercial and recreational equipment
- Make lakes/rivers unusable for recreational and commercial activities.
- Dramatically increase the operating costs of drinking water plants, power plants, dam maintenance, and industrial processes
- Affect human health
- Reduce property values
- Affect local economies of water-dependent communities.